I really wish we could!
I’ve been meaning to blog about my much-talked-about Halloween costume, but I couldn’t find a photo that showed all the details until now. So here we go! There’s a list below to describe all the little bits/everything about the costume. I got really into my theme, which was Steampunk ‘Book’aneer, or just Book Pirate as I told all the uninitiated. 🙂
- Book page eyepatch with Jolly Roger reading a book
- Book page earrings (not pictured- book page bracelet)
- White shirt from my mom’s closet dyed with tea
- Quoth the Raven (with a book page speech bubble “Never more”
- Hollowed out book that holds pistol which unfurls the word ‘Bang!’ when fired
- Corset made (by Kat) from strapless minidress
- Collar from a men’s shirt (tailored to my neck by Kat), vintage cameo
- Tiny paper books tied to my corset strings wrapped around my waist
- Old bridesmaid skirt ruched in front (by my mom) and bustled in back (by Robin)
- Steampunk-hacked nerfgun made for me by one of my kids
- Witch Halloween decoration, not a part of my costume
Not noted: the writing on my stockings (a book on one leg, Walt Disney quote on the other), the metal bustle frame my dad made for me that I couldn’t/wouldn’t wear to work, YA Halloweeny book display behind me, aaand the blue stuff on my wrist is my tattoo…
My kids and coworkers did a good job with the theme as well!
I am probably going to keep/modify/add to this to wear to Comicpalooza in 2012…
Guys, I am so burned out on the blogging! I don’t know what the deal is, I love all the prompts but lately nothing has seemed interesting enough to write about. BUT I shall continue to push through.
A few random things:
- The new dog seems to be suffering from separation anxiety, feel bad for the kid and I hope we can train it out of him
- Does anyone else think/hope that Mark Sheppard’s character’s name is a reference to Firefly? (Everett Canton III v. Jayne the Hero of Canton? Or am I just reaching? Sheppard and Adam Baldwin have worked together in 5 projects…)
- My teens judged the poems in our poetry contest today, one poem contained this line: “Baseball is awesome like a lion eating a possum…” LOVE.
~~~~~~Jane Austen 30 Day Challenge~~~~~~
25. Favorite family connection (i.e. sister-sister, mother-daughter, brother-sister, etc.)
I really need to reread Emma, but my favorite at the moment is Emma and John Knightley in the new Emma. He’s so persnickety!
26. Favorite casting cameo from the films.
****Miles Run to Date****
Well, school (at least in Friendswood) is out. This brings mixed emotions for me. I’m glad my kids are happy to be free, but the new junior high is opening several miles away which means my school year crowd is going to be very different next year. Not sure what will happen there in the Fall.
My 2 day long marathon of Doctor Who is over, and so are the last of our ‘quiet’ days at the library. Now the days will be full of families searching for a cool way to spend a few minutes/hours with books or the variety of programming we offer or picking up prizes from the summer reading club. It’s totally exhausting but so very fun and I’m excited but nervous as always.
But before that begins, we have a 3 day weekend! I’ll be spending it in New Braunfels with my sisters. So far, our plans consist of vague ideas to go antiquing and floating the river and Monday we’re seeing the Barenaked Ladies perform in Austin, which I’m so psyched for! This will be my 3rd time to see them, and I’m curious to see how they’ll perform as a foursome.
I had to take off the afternoon so I don’t go into overtime (I’m going in for our kick off party in the morning), so Robin and I met my mom at the high school and then went for margaritas and fajitas and I was so tired when I got home around 7, I read some and actually took a nap! Again! And only for half an hour again so I’m not in a bad mood, miracle of miracles! But when I woke up the weather had turned, from clear blue skies to overcast and pouring rain. The temperature has gone down to 79 but the humidity is at 77% so it feels soupy outside. Gross. Hope it lightens up for tomorrow!